When it comes to fall, I crave all things pumpkin. Specifically, I begin to crave this pumpkin french toast. You won’t even know it’s healthy- promise. The best part (besides the taste) is it’s so easy to make. Even my husband loves this, and he is pretty picky about his breakfast indulgences.
- 1/2 cup 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup Liquid egg whites or egg beaters
- 2 packets of Truvia
- Hearty sprinkle of Cinnamon
- Olive oil pan spray (or PAM)
- 3 slices choice of healthy bread- I use Sarah Lee Delightful or Sprouted Grain. A bread that is light and airy is best.
- 1/4 cup choice of syrup: I use Sugar Free, Lite, or all natural Log Cabin’s. **High fructose syrups upset my stomach so I tend to stick to the lighter ones. Just avoid anything with aspartame !
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, egg whites, Truvia, and cinnamon (a pinch of nutmeg if desired- I prefer without).
- Heat a skillet or pan to medium-high heat, spray lightly with olive oil spray or pan spray of choice
- Dip one piece of bread in the batter until entirely covered.
- Place the bread on the skillet/pan and cook until browned, then flip and brown other side (usually only takes about a minute per side, first piece cooks slower than the next two). Place on a plate when done.
- While the first piece is cooking, begin preparing the next piece. Repeat step #3 and #4 for the last two pieces of bread. *You may want to re-spray the pan between flips and pieces.
- Add 1/4 cup of your favorite syrup and whipped cream if desired ( I like 365 non-dairy whipped cream from Whole Foods).
**If they are cooking too fast, simply turn town the heat!
Nutrition for the batch using Sarah Lee bread and Sugar Free syrup:
*Great source of vitamin A